Witsy

When witty meets ditsy. It is a phrase coined by my once and future ex-husband to describe the brilliance I will display one second, and the utter stupidity the next. In an attempt to join wit with dits, I bring you Witsy. I would like to hear similar experiences, answer questions, and hopefully learn from and educate others without feeling like a moron about it. I ask everyone to join me in an attempt to brighten up the world, one beautiful mind at a time. Welcome to Witsy.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Witsy's Why Women Wednesday

Witizens:


It was brought to my attention by my bestest friend to get on top f writing the "Why Women Wednesday" for today. I now have Mondays and Tuesdays off, so I'm all kinds of turned around. Luckily, she also gave me the brilliant topic for today's inquiry: Why, Women, do we talk about things that WE KNOW men do not care about and expect them to listen? And not just listen, but be as emotionally charged and pumped as we are about it. I'm not innocent of what I'm accusing, and to answer my own question, I simply forget who I'm talking to during my excitement. There was recently a sale on designer sunglasses, and I told men and women alike, and when the guys gave me the half ear, I dropped the subject. It is okay to mention something, but an elongated convo involving fashion won't hold a man's attention, and we bloody well know it. I like to think that whether it is in written or spoken form, that I appealing to my audience; therefore, I stick to what they may care about. If you don't know, here's a list of things that will cause your man's eyes to glaze over:

The List:

1) Anything Fashion (clothes, shoes, makeup, models, all that we worship)
2) Soap Operas/Reality TV
3) Your Friends & Their Drama
4) Evil Coworkers
5) Your Dreams (sleep, not as in aspirations)
6) The Troubles of the World

They just don't care. You can't make them care, even if you're really passionate. Of course, there are things men talk about that we don't care for, and we tell them "I don't get it"; whether it be sports or cars (or even sports cars), we give the old, "I don't know" and it's done. Or better yet, we get distracted by the television, the phone, the housework just when we start to be bored by the conversation. Suppose men just started saying, "Reality t.v., well...I don't know", or reached for the phone, remote control, or video controller. We would be furious and accuse them of not caring for US because we care so much. It's in fact a double standard. Why do we get mad when they don't listen, but we don't have to listen as much?

So, if today's topic falls on deaf ears, I understand. It is so hard not to tell a lover what we are passionately moved by. But maybe, just maybe we could stop being so impassioned by every little thing. Or so verbal about our passions. Better yet, why not just keep these topics to discuss with your best friend, because we all know you're going to anyway? Why must we talk about the same thing with more than one group of people, especially with a group that could care less? I would love any feedback, but do me this one favor. Please don't go telling your man about this article of Why Women Wednesday and this chick Not~So~Cosmo unless he is truly interested.


Truly,

Not~So~Cosmo

**Previous "Why Women Wednesday" posts can be found at http://mantrix.blogspot.com, and future "Why Women Wednesday" entries will be posted on Witsy as well. Enjoy!**

3 Comments:

  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Will Work For Shoes said…

    As soon as I finished reading this I wanted to tell my hubby about it but he was playing a video game so I spared him. This is a great question (*wink*wink.) I am definitely an offender of both demanding the attention and not giving the attention. I can say that a lot of the times when I am not listening it is because I have heard the story before.

    I would like to add to "The List":
    Anything that ends with "well I guess you had to be there". Those are the worst. It's like trying to share an inside joke with a complete stranger.

    The funny thing about this is with most things, once I realize my weakness, I work on it. With this, I just can't seem to wrap my arms around it. I think I do it to everyone, male/female, friend/foe. It like I have conversational ADD. Oooh, I like that. We'll just call it CADD.

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger Will Work For Shoes said…

    And one more thing....If anything on "The List" involves boobs, it's 99% ok to tell him about it, especially if there are pictures or it will come on TV again.

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger Not So Cosmo said…

    Will...Shoes:

    OMG!!! I was so going to add that all the things on the list can be discussed if boobs are mentioned!! It came to me when I thought, "well, you could talk about the coworker with the huge tits, and it's okay..hey, wait..." Seriously, we scare me how much we are alike. I think any additions of "it really made me want to f@$! or s~^% your d#*%" would be most welcome. Just sex up anything and he'll listen; as would I. Perhaps we're bringing sexy back.

    As for your conversational ADD (CADD is awesome), that is not entirely your fault. The things we babble about only need a kind and patient ear. When guys go to talking, you have to have some knowledge of the subject, otherwise it becomes a lesson... an impatient lesson. I know I posed the question, but I was referring mostly to those "well, you had to be there" stories, or better yet, "I'll just tell my girls later; you don't get it" stories. If you know he won't enjoy/get it, don't bother (him).

    That was good restraint on your part for keeping WWW to yourself, by the way. I've seen your hubby playing the game... Ruthless he is! Attentive he is not.

    ^.^

    N~S~C

     

Post a Comment

<< Home