Witsy

When witty meets ditsy. It is a phrase coined by my once and future ex-husband to describe the brilliance I will display one second, and the utter stupidity the next. In an attempt to join wit with dits, I bring you Witsy. I would like to hear similar experiences, answer questions, and hopefully learn from and educate others without feeling like a moron about it. I ask everyone to join me in an attempt to brighten up the world, one beautiful mind at a time. Welcome to Witsy.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Who Killed Chivalry?

Agent Smith:

Forgive me, for I have sinned. It has been awhile since my last post. I took a small sabbatical to get my mind right; luckily it's good like new. After checking the old calendar and realizing it is Wednesday, I’m jonesin’ for my "Why Women? Wednesday" fix. In the meantime, I’d like to ask a question or two myself.

Is chivalry dead? And if so, did women kill it?

There came a time when women wanted their independence, and rightfully so. With this newfound independence came the backlash of man-bashing, and the "I can do anything/everything myself" mentality. And, alas, chivalry died... I have heard women say that men are no longer chivalrous, and I've heard those same women say they like "bad boys". Ummm.... Since when are bad boys known for their chivalry? Men who are chivalrous aren't really the type of men women go for anymore; sad, but true. After time, as is with anything that isn't properly reinforced, chivalry ceased to exist because everyone just stopped caring for anyone but themselves.

Is apathy the real killer?

Let's call chivalry "common courtesy" instead, so that it is neither a male nor a female trait; it's just human. Whether a man or a woman gets to a door first, is it not courteous to hold it open? I've had so many doors almost bang me in the face... common courtesy must be dead too. Both men and women have grown to be so consumed with themselves, that there is no longer any time for courtesy. Who cares, right? Why bother? That attitude has led to men not doing what is customarily a chivalrous and noble service to women; and it's led women to assume so little from men that there are no longer great expectations. It has led both sexes to complacency.

How I do wish that human kindness was overflowing. These were my morning ponderings, and I'd very much appreciate any input or feedback. Until next time…


Not~So~Cosmo

2 Comments:

  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Will Work For Shoes said…

    You would be happy to know that I just stopped a woman at my job from pushing the knife in deeper. She had a bunch of boxes of t-shirts to move and Victor offered to help and she said, "no I can handle this." I said "Stop and let him do it. You're killing chivalry." And she said "you know what, you're right," and let him do it. Maybe part of the problem is woman haven't realized what they are doing. I know I didn't realize it until about 2 years ago. Since then, I have been trying to revive the lost art and allowing my man to take care of me in all ways that he should, not just the ones I want him to. And after the incident this morning, I think I created an ally.

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger Not So Cosmo said…

    That is why you're the best darn girl in the world. You get it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home