Witsy

When witty meets ditsy. It is a phrase coined by my once and future ex-husband to describe the brilliance I will display one second, and the utter stupidity the next. In an attempt to join wit with dits, I bring you Witsy. I would like to hear similar experiences, answer questions, and hopefully learn from and educate others without feeling like a moron about it. I ask everyone to join me in an attempt to brighten up the world, one beautiful mind at a time. Welcome to Witsy.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Deja Vu?

If you haven't seen the new Beyonce video for Deja Vu featuring Jay Z, you haven't missed anything unless you like ugly clothes, crazy dancing and looking at guys who would rather be anywhere than where they are. This video is so bad there is an official petition to re-shoot it. Here's the link if you to sign or read (I advise you check it out because it's quite funny): http://www.PetitionOnline.com/dejavu06/petition.html. I personally didn't sign the petition because I don't need or want to see another video for a song that makes no sense. The definition of deja vu is the experience of thinking that a new situation had occured before. Beyonce's song is about her missing her man and how it makes her delusional.
Back to the video. Let's start at the beginning with her in some sort of white bustierre, lingerie thing that looks like it barely hanging on. With this and with a few more outfits we have the messy up-do, which I've hated since middle school when girls would use mirror to create it. Next outfit up is a button down shirt, stockings with designs on them and gloves. Yuck. Then she's running through a grass field in a dress with wild hair. Then another dress, a pink one I think, this time with stringy hair. Finally an outfit shows up that I like. Strike that. An outfit would inlcude everything she had on but the gloves with no fingers stopped working for me when Madonna stopped being like a virgin. My favorite part is up next, Jay Z's rap.
Picture a smoky, dimlit dance studio with a Jay Z leaning against the wall. Enter Beyonce. As she makes her way to him, her body shakes and shimmies as though she drunk or high on something that isn't green. I've chalked it up to Jay Z gives her the good old-fashioned JIMMY LEGS. Once she reaches him, she fawns over him as he raps and looks almost totally disineterested (he does smack her ass once.) I mean he doesn't even blink when her head is at crotch level and she tugging on his belt (the whole scene makes me think of Oliver "Please sir, may I have some more?")
Did I say that was my favorite part? I'm sorry I lied to you. The African dance in the puffy skirt with wild hair is definitely my favorite part (I hope my sarcasm comes through.) It's ricockulous. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! The last time I saw dancing like that and liked it was when Comedy Central played Coming to America. We close the video with her in a black short set and boots and more jimmy legs, although this time no Jay Z.
After watching the video, I was only more convinced that the song made no sense. That's why the video makes no sense. There is so much left to be desired. The only Deja Vu comes from the audience, who is probably thinking they saw this before in Crazy in Love. May I remind you that this time there are no background dancers. I would love to hear your thoughts whether you've seen the video or not.

Until next time,

Will Work For Shoes

3 Comments:

  • At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't seen the video, but you showed me this yesterday and we discussed it and I am going to put my 2 cents in...
    A) There is no clear story or theme to the video -- Since when have videos EVER had clear stories or themes? I can watch videos and come up with MUCH better ideas.

    B) The dancing is erratic, confusing and alarming at times - again, this is something new? How many other videos have "erratic" or "alarming" dancing in it. Most of them do.

    C) The sexual themes and shots between Ms. Knowles and Mr. Sean Carter PKA Jay-Z, are alarming and show unacceptable interactions between the two -- blah, blah, blah... again, nothing new. Sex sells and directors know this. Again, many other videos come to mind with "unacceptable interactions" between the characters

    I really am going to stop this here b/c I could go on and on but it is all the same. Everything that the petition is saying is wrong with the video happens in EVERY video? Is the person who wrote it comparing it to Video Disney or something? Turn on MTV(if you can turn it on at 3am when they actually play videos) and you will see alarming dancing, bad outfits, gratutious sex, and my pet peeve.. bad story lines or worse yet concert footage.

     
  • At 6:27 AM, Blogger Will Work For Shoes said…

    And that's why I love Eryn.

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger Not So Cosmo said…

    Seriously, you two bitches ROCK!!! It's like you both are reading my mind/sharing it. Although I was the first to bash the video of Ms. Knowles, I'll be the first to say it's completely her style, and hell no I don't want to see another video for Deja Vu. Please... what have we done to deserve a second helping of such garbage?

    N~S~C

     

Post a Comment

<< Home